Friday, July 15, 2011

Chapter 4.5 - Brave New Me

It has been almost 4 months since our lawyer called us and in those 4 months a lot has happened.

3 Months Ago

My sisters and I were sitting in our moms old office on the edge of our seats.

"Shouldn't he have called by now?" Bianca said, startling Caterina and I since none of us had said anything for almost an hour.

"Yea, I am a little nervous to hear what he has to say though," Caterina said.

"He will call, don't worry," i said, "and don't be nervous. Mom and Dad were smart people. They wouldn't have put anything in their will without thinking it through and being 100% sure that that is what they want."

Bianca was about to say something but the sudden ringing of the phone stopped her.

"hello?" I said after putting the phone on speakerphone.

"Hello Mia, Bianca, and Caterina, this is Mr Nerdath. Are you guys ready to start?"

Yes Mr Nerdath, please continue," I said as I looked at my sisters, registering the anxiousness on their faces.

As our lawyer read through our parents will the emotions were suddenly becoming much to big for the little office. None of us said anything during the conference call but as I hung up the phone I could sense what was about to happen.

"You are a liar!" Bianca exploded staring at me with an extremely hateful look on her face.



"Bianca, please, I am just as surprised as you are!" I said feeling the tears well up in the corner of my eyes.

"Mia, don't pull that fake crying on us," Caterina screamed at me, "You knew you were going to be the next heir to our family legacy and that's why you gave us that crappy little speech earlier."



I just stood there in the kitchen not knowing what to say or do. I couldn't blame them for being mad but I also knew that our parents made the right decision. I mean, I was the only one of us girls that actually studied hard in school and knew what i wanted in my life. I never got into trouble and I never hung out with the wrong crowd.

"Rob asked me to move in with him if this didn't go as planned and that's exactly what I am going to do...today!" Bianca said interrupting my thoughts.

"Same here," Caterina added "Maggie and i are moving in together. So I will be packing my things today as well."

Within an hour my sisters were gone and I was left in this huge house all by myself. Julian wouldn't be over until later tonight when he got back from Basic Training. He enlisted in the Sim National Army and left 3 weeks after celebrating our birthdays. I missed him so much and I needed him now more than anything. As i walked into the office and sat down I noticed a piece of paper sitting in the desk. It was the note that was left here the night of my parents death. i had no idea what this letter meant until I called our lawyer to set up a date and time for our conference call. 

He explained everything to me and gave me a phone number to call. I still had not called this Vasil guy mostly because i was frightened as to what he might say. But I knew that today was the day I needed to call him so that this could be done with. So I picked up my phone and carefully punched in the numbers.




"Yes," a man said with the strongest Italian accent I have ever heard.

"Hello, my name is Mia Abruzzi, I am calling to..."

"To hand over leadership. yes, I have been waiting for one of you girls to call. Everything is already taken care of, I just need to know who to make this check out to."

"Check? What check?"

"Wow, they didn't tell you girls anything at all huh? Your Grandfather had it in his contract that if this spot was ever handed to someone else outside of his family that he or the next family member would receive a check for two hundred thousand simolians. None of you deserve this but it has to be given to you anyways."

I told the guy who to make the check out to and hung up the phone. This was a good amount of money and I had a pretty good idea of what to use it on.


Present Day
It was strange thinking back to all of those bad moments but it made me appreciate everything so much more. The money I had received from the Mafia went straight to the bank and has not been touched since. Instead of relying on that money I put my resume together and went down to Steve's Business Complex and after an unusually long interview I walked out with a new job and began my career in business. That was already almost a month ago but I still felt like I was on cloud 9. Thanksgiving was just a day away and I was looking forward to spending the entire 4 day weekend with Julian. We both have such crazy work hours that it is hard to get together and most of the time weekends are the only days we can see each other. I had just put my keys and briefcase in the office and was getting ready to get changed when my phone rang.

"Hi my love," Julian said

"Hi hun, are you on your way over?"



"Yes, but don't get to comfy. I am coming to pick you up so we can leave."

"Ok, is everything alright?"

"Yes, I just have a surprise for you. Be ready when I get there."

When Julian picked me up we went to the military base. I was even more confused when we boarded a military jet but I didn't let it bother me because he gets a lot of favors since he is now a Flight Pilot. It didn't take me long to fall asleep since i had a long week at work.

"Mia...Mia"

"Huh? Yea?"

"Hunny, wake up. We are here."

As we got off the plane and got our luggage I finally got a chance to see where we were. As I looked around I thought I was dreaming, we were in France!

No comments:

Post a Comment